Importance of IV?

Discussion area for strategies used in Pokémon GO.
K1ng-0le

Importance of IV?

Post#1 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:37 pm

Just started reading about IV, and have some questions.

Unable to search for it, as the search has to be at least 3 chars. :)

Is IV still important after the June updates?

If I have similar CP and HP on two of the same Pokemon's, and the one with the higher IV has a lower quick attack, which of the two would then do best?

I know there's not a lot of info to answer that question, but is the quick/charge attacks more damaging the higher the IV?

Still don't get the IV.

Thanks for any info about IV.

EDIT:

Forgot one thing.

It seams high IV's always have the 2 top answers on the appraisal.

If for instance a Wooper has lower than the 2 top answers in the appraisal, could that change once it has been evolved?

NotanotherKangaskhan

Re: Importance of IV?

Post#2 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:03 pm

IV does not change through evolutions, it remains the same.
e.g. An 80IV Pidegy will evolve into an 80IV Pigeotto and again only into an 80IV Pidgeot.

As for the importance of IV in the game right at this moment?
The general rule is the higher the IV the bigger the CP your Pokemon can go to. There are some exceptions to this as the Attack Stat is the biggest influence of CP. For example I have two 76% Vaporeon's so in theory they should both Power up to the same CP? This wasn't the case with one falling a fair bit shorter than the other. The reason was one had a good attack stat and the other was poor. I have the same with a 60% Blissey that could be Powered up to a higher CP than a 69% one as that has a woeful attack stat.

a large collection of massive CP Pokemon is no longer required for placement in Gyms since the change. The only thing large IV and CP is good for now is building strong attackers for using in battle. The higher the IV the better the attacker you can potentially Power up.

K1ng-0le

Post#3 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:27 pm

Thank you.

So, is the max CP the only thing that really plays a role with IV?

If I have two identical pokemons with same attack types/values, same CP, same HP, both best at attack, and the only difference would be their IV's, would one be stronger than the other, or would they be pretty much equal?

Thanks!

NotanotherKangaskhan

Post#4 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:09 am

IV% is the combination of Attack, Defense and Stamina values of the individual Pokemon that you can't see unless you use an IV App or Program.
How exactly the % value is calculated I'm not sure?
I'm not sure how the Defense and Stamina stats affect final CP?

I only discovered the the Attack relationship to CP when making a spreadsheet to track the Candy and Dust spend and was using Poke Genie to see what they would get to and how much they would cost.

Lyraglide

Post#5 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:36 pm

I've noticed that Pokegenie will overestimate the IV of a pokemon whose best statistic is Attack, and will underestimate it for one whose best is HP. That would tend to indicate to me that one with higher attack can attain a higher maximum CP for a given IV. That's less important now that they don't sit in gyms based on their CP, though. I don't know that the difference in HP/attack/defense would be perceptible as a boss is flattening you in a raid, nor does it matter in usual gym battles where every fully candy-fed defender takes three battles to defeat regardless of CP.

K1ng-0le

Post#6 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:10 pm

I guess what I'm trying to ask is this:

If I have an IV:66 with a quick attack of 10, vs an IV:97 with a quick attack of 5, both with same type and same amount of CP, could the IV:97 potentially deliver a stronger attack than the IV:66, or will a quick attack of 10 always be stronger than 5?

I am getting more confused the more I research this...

Thanks.

Return to “Strategies”