Attacking Gyms

Discussion area for strategies used in Pokémon GO.
Lyraglide

Re: Attacking Gyms

Post#11 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:10 pm

The gist of this is
Enemy gyms: Wipe out as many as possible with the strongest mon possible to conserve your revives/potions.
Friendly gyms: Match strengths/weaknesses to use mons as little over half the CP as you can get while still defeating the defender, and if the gym has less than six defenders, you can even go lower and let a second low-CP mon clean up a battle before moving to the next defender. Worry about reviving them later if you have enough low potency attackers to keep sending in more fresh cannon fodder.

My question is whether this algorithm has changed since this website published it, as gym battles have been revised in other ways.

NotanotherKangaskhan

Post#12 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:46 am

Lyraglide wrote:The gist of this is
Enemy gyms: Wipe out as many as possible with the strongest mon possible to conserve your revives/potions.
Friendly gyms: Match strengths/weaknesses to use mons as little over half the CP as you can get while still defeating the defender, and if the gym has less than six defenders, you can even go lower and let a second low-CP mon clean up a battle before moving to the next defender. Worry about reviving them later if you have enough low potency attackers to keep sending in more fresh cannon fodder.

My question is whether this algorithm has changed since this website published it, as gym battles have been revised in other ways.

I'm still wanting to understand this training up using Mon just less than half CP thing.
Does your Single Pokemon need to defeat the one it's fighting against to get the increase XP gain or can you use 1,2,3 or more of your 6 battle squad?
Nearly every Gym I train up these days has multiple Blisseys and they are a massive pain in a one on one fight training up.
Last edited by NotanotherKangaskhan on Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lyraglide

Post#13 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:17 pm

I've been using strong-weak double teams, so the lower CP mon does the coup de grace. I don't know how it's being scored, though. Gym play would be more interesting if you got a scorecard at the end that explained how you earned points.

There's no advantage to attacking with less than half the points, though. Half gets you the most, and twice as strong as the defender gets you the least, with equally matched getting half the maximum.

NotanotherKangaskhan

Post#14 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:13 am

Now I have quite a few surplus low CP Snorlax, Blissey and Vaporeons ranging from 800-2000CP I'm going to rename some for quick selection and take them for a few training up battle runs to see how they go. The high HP's should see these go further than my #9 trash squads I've been messing with which has been hit and miss with results ranging from poor to excellent.
I seem to be spendinga bit of time lately bashing away training Gyms up from L7 which is 10K prestige at a time to level up.
Revives and potions are not a problem for me to get with the Go Plus

NotanotherKangaskhan

Post#15 » Wed May 03, 2017 1:04 am

NotanotherKangaskhan wrote:Now I have quite a few surplus low CP Snorlax, Blissey and Vaporeons ranging from 800-2000CP I'm going to rename some for quick selection and take them for a few training up battle runs to see how they go. The high HP's should see these go further than my #9 trash squads I've been messing with which has been hit and miss with results ranging from poor to excellent.
I seem to be spendinga bit of time lately bashing away training Gyms up from L7 which is 10K prestige at a time to level up.
Revives and potions are not a problem for me to get with the Go Plus

Striking a bit of a snag with building my High HP low CP battle squad options. The large majority of the squad needs to be between 1100 and 1400CP. Most of the junk Snorlax and Blissey I'm catching are 2-300CP lower or higher than the numbers I require. It's going to take a bit more time and my have to spend Dust and Candy to get the ones I want :roll:

Return to “Strategies”